Sunday, July 20, 2008

Blackjack.

I fell asleep on the couch in my living room last night. I was so tired at the time as to be useless to everyone. I was incoherently, incomprehensibly tired, and yet a mere five hours later I found myself wide awake.

It's partially a sleep scheduling issue. The past two weeks I've basically been up all night and asleep for most of the day. It was sparked in large part by my recent vigor in working on a screenplay, for which I was willing to throw caution to the wind to get a head start on. It would now seem in my botched effort to switch my sleeping back to its proper state, I've managed to get in the habit of waking up at between five and six in the morning. This isn't terribly useful, because as much as I hate to admit it, I always end up wasting the nice mornings. I wish I were the kind of person who woke up early and made the most of being awake on the cusp of the new day.

The new Batman movie came out on Friday, and I saw it on the IMAX screen at the San Francisco Metreon. It struck me as easily the best Batman movie, but at the same time, I think it wasn't as affecting for me as it seems to have been for the public at large. Let the record clearly state: Bat-Sonar is dumb.

I think a big issue I have with the past two Batman films has been that I don't really enjoy Christian Bale's performance. Roger Ebert, when reviewing the movie Jumper, said that Hayden Christensen exuded "a physical and moral weakness." Similarly, I always get a vibe of insincerity off of Christian Bale, which works great for "American Psycho," but not so well for Batman. Consequently, I ended up enjoying everything in the movie less when Batman was around. The scenes of the Joker intimidating the mob bosses were far more enjoyable to me than the scenes of him scuffling with the titular hero. The action sequences revolving around Batman's hand-to-hand combat sort of bored me. All told, it's a very good movie, and maybe the best movie I've seen originated from a comic book, but I can't fully embrace it the way I'd like to.

I'm gonna try to work on this screenplay. Here's a sample of some dialogue:

FRANK
You should get e new breakfast special down at
Dooney's! They give you two eggs, bacon, sausage,
and a cake waffle for $3.50!

JACK
Cake waffle?

FRANK
Yeah! It's like the Cookie Crisp concept, but with cake,
and in waffle form.

No comments: